LET'S START KNOWING ABOUT SWISS ETA MOVEMENT FIRST
- ETA is the biggest watches movement company in the world. Introduced in 1793 in Switzerland by Isaac, David Benguerel, Julien, Francais Humbert and up until now serving the whole world supporting so many watch's brands.
- Swiss ETA movement is known as a very relaible movement with high accuarcy, no wonder watches with Swiss ETA inside will be listed in fantastic price.
- Swiss ETA movement price is quite expensive in the market, you can see some price HERE
- Swiss federation have a new regulation to reduce ETA production and open competition market in watch movement industry, so there is no longer monopolized by ETA company. Therefore there are so many movement factory after this regulation
- Some brands starts making their own style and calibre on their own movement as a signature of its brands, for example : Tag Heuer with Calibre 1887, Caliber 5, Calibre 16, Calibre S, Calibre 36 etc. Rolex with Calibre 3135, 3186, 3125, 3131 etc. Also other high-end brands are using their own calibre.
See on the capture below as one of the prices for some Swiss ETA movement :
From above figures you can really see that real Swiss ETA movement is very expensive. Now I will tell you the true story based on our customer questions
Q-1 : ARE THERE ANY HIGH-END REPLICA WITH REAL SWISS ETA MOVEMENT INSIDE?
Case Study : Audemars Piguet Royal Oak Offshore 44mm 26400AU Real Ceramic Novelty Forged Carbon JF 1:1 Best Edition Black Dial On Black Rubber Strap A3126, My list price is : $678 (This price is including my profit). So, if you think that this movement is using real Swiss ETA, lets do simple calculation as below :
- Movement price (must be 7751 chronograph automatic) =$698
- Forged carbon material price ???
- Price for the case ????
- Price for the dial, hands, and other parts ???
- Production and labor cost ????
- Shipping cost ????
- Overhead cost ????
Is that make sense if high end replica using real Swiss movement? you can see and figure out based on data above. There are so many replica seller keep saying that the movement of replica from china is Swiss ETA, and so many people being mislead by this Terminology ! One thing for sure that in fact, there NONE of replica made by any factory are using Swiss ETA movement, except some modified watches (not factory made).
Q-2 : ARE THERE ANY HIGH-END REPLICA WITH REAL SWISS MOVEMENT ?
- YES, but not factory made replica. It should be modified by watch smith, and the price consequently high due to the real ETA price, maybe $1,500 or above.
- If point number 1 is yes, the movement looks will not going to be the same with the brand's calibre. Because right now every high-end brands have their own calibre with unique and different looks and decoration. If there is a real ETA on replica, it should be modified to be close to brand's calibre looks. The warranty will broken obviously. If you see below pictures, you will noticed that there is a huge different looks between genuine ETA and some brand's movement caliber. So if it is genuine ETA on replica, without modification will looks so different compare to genuine calibre.
Q-3 : SO WHAT IS THE MOVEMENT ON HIGH-END REPLICA ??
- There are a clone version legally produced in China which is the exact copy of Swiss ETA, people called it as ASIAN ETA. They copy exactly the same structure as genuine ETA. Some model are copied perfectly become Asian 2836-2, Asian 2824-2, Asian 7750 etc. The looks is very close compare to genuine ETA. You can see the comparison on pictures below :
- Price of Asian ETA are very cheap compare to genuine Swiss ETA. This is the reasons why all factories in replica industry choose Asian movement to be installed on their replica instead of using genuine Swiss ETA movement.
- The factory need to make some modification on Asian ETA based movement to get a closer looks compare to genuine calibre from the brands they copied. The decoration need to be the same, the structured need to be the same. But again i repeat, the movement based is ASIAN ETA, not SWISS ETA as logically the price will be huge different.
Q-4 : HOW ABOUT THE RELIABILITY OF ASIAN ETA MOVEMENT?
Asian movement is legally distribute in China and there are so many testimony talk about how good and reliable these movement are. Running with the same beat as genuine ETA, the only different is that Asian ETA don't have FORMAL QUALITY CONTROL PROCESS from the factory, while the genuine is formally QC. Overall, this is a good cheap option to have a good movement as good as genuine ETA movement. There are some testimony i took from one of website forum regarding how good Asian movement are :
- "The only advantage to purchasing gen ETA is that if it should physically break, you have easy access to parts. If a China clone ETA physically breaks, parts may or may not fit. Some do and some do not. Your option would be to purchase a new clone ETA from a parts supply house like Otto Frei or a genuine Swiss ETA movement to replace the broken clone. It's really your call. There is nothing "wrong" with china clone ETA movements." (Source : RWG)
- "Excellent points by Jkay. The clones are really good! Sometimes so good it is hard to tell them apart from ETAs." (Source : RWG)
- Many people even say that the installed genuine swiss ETA in replica watches are worse than asian clones movement. Because the Asian clone is new and relatively controlled, but the gen Swiss ETA has n unknown origin and age.
Q-5 : HOW ABOUT MIYOTA MOVEMENT ?
- As you know, Japanese miyota movement is group of Citizen company, and this movement are very famous in watches industry as the alternative of price pressing. The movement price is not too expensive, but you can't complain the reliability, those are consider as very reliable movement. .
- One of Miyota flagship is Miyota 9015 as a good cheap alternatives of ETA 2824-2 movement.
Q-6 : WHY SO MANY SELLER CALLED HIGH-END REPLICA MOVEMENT AS "SWISS ETA" INSTEAD OF "ASIAN ETA"
- It is based on the history from the beginning of replica movement, almost all seller said that the movement is SWISS ETA, in fact, they missed 1 word : COPY, it supposed to be SWISS ETA COPY 1:1.
- I think nothing to blame, it is only MARKETING tools to gain so many customer. On the other hand, as customers we need to be very careful to identify and understand the real meaning of this SWISS ETA terminology
- There are so many seller only have ability to SELL, without knowing which one is right and which one is wrong.
In the end, I hope this topic can help you who have no experience on replica industry, or for you who know already and gaining more info from this topic. Let's get it right !